Thursday, July 2, 2009

dreaming 'bout a place


"a new day"
keep art alive; art by
rooze

"low and behold things are killing me,
silly expectations of a dream."

day old blues (video) ~ kings of leon
day old blues ~ kings of leon

when i was a young girl my bicycle was one of my most treasured posessions. it represented some kind of freedom to me, a peace that i often did not find elsewhere, and a symbol of my longing to go, to wander, and to run. i would spend hours just drifting around the neighborhoods near where i grew up, speeding up sometimes, coasting other times, my mind flying up above me lost in a daydream. i'd often make up stories while i pedaled along, creating characters, or newly crafted versions of me, hardly noticing the time of day, or any recognizable passage of time while i rode along.

there were times when i rode with such drive and speed that i'm surprised the tires did catch afire and burn across the pavement. days when i was upset by things in my life, or those times when my emotions felt so denied, and pushed so far down into myself, that i thought i might explode. it was then that i would ride and ride and ride until all my muscles ached, and sweat trickled down the back of my neck, and clung to the tendrils of my hair. i'd return home, my face tear and dirt streaked, half-limping, but better for the release of the road.

sometimes i just rode around to explore, to see something different, to discover what existed just around the corner from my reality.

later i would feel all this about my first car, and all the subsequent vehicles to follow. but, my first taste of that kind of freedom came in a two-wheeled metal framed Schwin with a blue and white seat, and a clip on AM radio. some days, like right now, this afternoon, i wish i still had that old bicycle of mine.

"get a bicycle. you will not regret it."

~ mark twain

No comments:

Post a Comment